HELLO Smith Elementary Families,
This is a message from Smith Elementary Principal, Vickie Echols, keeping you informed with a weekly message.
Science / Math Night
Was a huge success; thank you to everyone who came! You can see a few photos on the Smith Facebook and Twitter pages. Jan. 31 Science Fair for the District Winners, Reed Middle School. Please take your child to get ideas for future projects.
Black History Month: 4th Grade Music Program
You are invited to to join Smith Elementary students in 4th grade to celebrate Black History Month with their fine arts program, "Communities in America"
When: February 7, 2017, 6:30 PM
Student body performance, 2:30PM
Where: Smith gym
What to expect: Quotes from famous Americans of color from the 19th to 21st century, including Harriet Tubman to President and First Lady Obama. Students will perform interpretive, traditional and contemporary dances and songs. The program will also feature the Alexander Elementary drum line!
Virtue of the Month: Compassion
During the month of February, we focus on Compassion as our monthly character trait. We hope they will find at least one way to show empathy and compassion each day. Save the date for our next event, the Valentine Sock Hop - Thursday, Feb. 16th. The week of Feb. 6-10 is National Counselor’s week at Smith, to focus public attention on the unique contribution of professional school counselors within U.S. school systems. Smith Elementary is so fortunate to have Ms. Sunshine as our school counselor. I hope you’ll join me us showing our appreciation during that week!
SAVE THE DATE:
· Jan. 31 Science Fair for the District Winners, Reed Middle School
· Feb. 3 - Student Holiday - Professional Learning for Teachers
· Feb. 4 - All City Choir concert
· Feb. 7 - Fourth Grade Music Program
· Feb. 6-10 School Counselor Appreciation Week
· Feb. 14 - Valentine Parties, 2:45pm (and Kinder 100th Day Celebration)
· Feb. 16 - Valentine Sock Hop Dance, 6:30 - 8:00pm
· Feb. 27-Mar 3 - Spring BOOK FAIR
· Feb. 28 - Open HOUSE and Family Literacy Night
· March 2 - Reading Morning, Strong Fathers-Strong Families, 7:30 am (morning)
· March 3 - Student Holiday - Professional Learning for Teachers
· March 6th -10th - College and Career Week / Community Day is Friday, 3/10
· March 14-18 - Spring Break