The goal of the Duncanville ISD prekindergarten program is for students to develop skills necessary for success in public school curriculum, including language, mathematics and social skills.
For the 2017-2018 school year, Duncanville ISD is offering limited enrollment in the district’s new, full day prekindergarten. There will be five full day classes for students who meet at least one of the seven criteria for prekindergarten eligibility. Acceptance to the program will be based upon available space at the time of enrollment. The tuition-free, full day prekindergarten classes will be housed at Acton, Alexander, Fairmeadows, Hastings and Smith elementary schools. Duncanville ISD will also offer a tuition-based program at Acton Elementary.
The district also offers half day prekindergarten programs at five of its nine elementary schools. Half day prekindergarten program(s) are provided at Bilhartz, Central, Fairmeadows, Hyman, and Merrifield.
Students qualifying for tuition-free prekindergarten must be four years of age by September 1, 2017 and meet one of the following criteria:
- Unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- Educationally disadvantaged (which means a student eligible to participate in the national free or reduced-price lunch program)
- Homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 1143a, regardless of the residence of the child, of either parent of the child, or of the child's guardian or other person having lawful control of the child
- The child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who is ordered to active duty by proper authority
- The child of a member of the armed forces of the United States, including the state military forces or a reserve component of the armed forces, who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Is or ever has been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services (foster care)following an adversary hearing held as provided by Section 262.201, Family Code
- Be the child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code
Online registration can be accessed at the following link: www.duncanvilleisd.org/Domain/1648
- Proof of Residence: original and current utility bill (water, gas, electric, cable bill; not a telephone bill) in parent/guardian’s name
- If the parent/guardian lives with a district resident (host family), a notarized affidavit of residence form (yellow form) must be provided
- Valid parent/guardian identification: state driver's license; Texas ID; passport with current address; military or government issued ID; or consular card
- Proof of Student Identification: original or certified true copy of birth certificate (not hospital certificate), valid passport with visa stamp, or any legal document that established identity
- Copy of student’s social security card
- Copy of student’s current and up-to-date immunization record