Texas Bluebonnet Award
The Texas Bluebonnet Award (TBA) reading program was established in 1979 to motivate students in grades 3 through 6 to read outstanding NEW children’s literature. A committee of teachers and librarians choose the 20 books to be included on the Bluebonnet list each year. Students all across Texas who read five or more books on the list have the privilege of voting for their favorite book. This program is unique in that students choose the winning book, NOT adults!
Guidelines for Texas Bluebonnet Program:
· Students who read (or have read to them) five (5) or more Bluebonnet books will be able to vote for their favorite Bluebonnet book
· Students who read at least 15 Bluebonnet books will be invited to the Smith Bluebonnet Luncheon in the spring.
· Only ONE (1) Bluebonnet may be checked out per student at a time.
· Teachers may check out one (1) Bluebonnet per week to read to the entire class – ALL students in the class may count this as a book read!
· After reading a book, please check it off on your Bluebonnet Reading Log and write about it on your Bluebonnet Thinking Map (resources linked below).