Duncanville ISD school counselors are trained in grief recovery, and provide extensive support services in the event of a student or staff death or serious illness. Grief recovery is an essential part of the healing process and can encompass emotional, physical, cognitive, behavioral, social, and philosophical dimensions. When a school experiences the loss of a student or staff member, our counseling team remains on-site as along as needed. Areas of the school are designated to provide counseling services, and bell schedules may be altered or suspended to accommodate needs. Below are helpful documents and links to online grief recovery resources.
- Talking with Children About Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers by the National Association of School Psychologists
- Tips for Supporting Children and Youth After a Crisis Event by the National Association of School Psychologists
- Coping with a traumatic event - for children
- Coping with a traumatic event - for parents
- Coping with a traumatic event - for teachers
- Death and Grief by Teens Health Nemours
- The Grief Recovery Method by The Grief Recovery Institute